6 Facts about Megan Tapper – 2022 Sigma Run Patron￼
We have another hurdler on board and we can’t contain our excitement. What better way to navigate the ‘hurdles’ of staging the 24th Sagicor Sigma Corporate Run in an unconventional period, than to have the support of the best hurdlers in the game?
The world watched in amazement last year as she dazzled us when she represented Jamaica at the summer Olympic games both on and off the track. Her vivacious, inviting personality brightened our lives and made us feel as if we’ve been friends from when.
Ladies and gentlemen meet Megan Tapper, decorated 100-metre hurdler, Olympic bronze medalist, and 2022 Sagicor Sigma Corporate Run patron who has been lending her support to the cause.
Here are the facts:
- She is 5 feet 1 inch tall – much shorter than the average competitor in her field, but she isn’t fazed by it and focuses on the advantages this gives to allow her to dominate.
- She is a 27-year-old native from Kingston, Jamaica. She is married to former athlete-turned coach Mathue Tapper, who also leads her coaching team.
- Megan is the first Jamaican athlete to win an Olympic medal in the 100m hurdles, and is the first woman in the Caribbean to medal in the event, which she did at the 2021 summer Olympic Games in Tokyo.
- She started out as a gymnast and represented Jamaica in that sport at eight years old. She switched to track and field as a teenager.
- She thoroughly enjoys encouraging others to be their best selves and is a toastmaster and motivational speaker, when she isn’t on the track.
- Megan is a past student of the University of Technology, Jamaica, and the St. Andrew High school for Girls.